Gynaecological Endoscopy & Laparoscopy Surgery
Holy Family Hospital houses a Super Specialized department of minimal access Gynae surgery, Gynae cancer surgery and Urogynaecology. This Department is equipped with state of art equipment and is backed by dedicated well trained specialist capable of handling routine as well as complex cases. The in house team specialist perform almost all Emergency and Planned Gynaecological procedures. The procedures are done using minimal access route via key holeincisions. The healing and recovery in this kind of surgery is a lot quicker, less stressful for patients and gives excellent results than the traditional surgery.
Dr.Neena Singh Kumar (MD, FICOG, FICMCH, MNAMS) heads the department of minimal access gynae surgery. She has the expertise to do advanced gynaecological procedures like keyhole surgery.
She has an outstanding academic record during the undergraduate years at Medical College Amritsar, Graduated in Medicine in November 1986 with several Gold and Silver Medals, Prizes and Scholarships. Qualified for award of MD Obstetrics and Gynaecology in May 1991 and worked as a Research Medical Officer under ICMR Project at Kasturba Hospital, New Delhi following which completed senior residency of 3 years at Lady Harding Medical College, New Delhi.
She was awarded Dr. S.S. Mishra Memorial Award (The Best Scientist Award 2005-2006) by National Academy of Medical Sciences (India) for her research in "Polycystic Ovary Syndrome & Insulin Resistance Syndrome: the Syndromic Synergies".
Awarded Fellowship of Indian College of Obstetrician and Gynaecologist (FICOG) in 2010.
Awarded Fellowship of NARCHI (National Association for Reproductive and Child Health of India) in 2012.
She has developed simplified techniques to do procedure like Total Laparoscopic Hysterectomy, Laparoscopic Myomectomy with simple Laparoscopic Equipment instruments best suited for Indian Population. In her long illustrious career, spanning over 20 years she has been widely recognized for her exceptional endoscopic work in treating complex, infertility, cancer, endometriosis fibroids, ovarian cysts and difficult hysterectomies.
There are 2 types of Gynaecologic Procedures:
Gynaecologic laparoscopy is an alternative to open surgery. It uses a laparoscope to look inside your pelvic area. Open surgery after requires large incision on abdomen.
A Laparoscope is a slender telescope with light. It allows the doctor to see inside your body. Diagnostic Laparoscopy can determine whether you haveconditions like endometriosis or ovarian cysts or fibroid. It can diagnose as well as help to treat at the same time.
Laparoscopy generally has
- A shorter healing time than open surgery.
- It is cosmetically better as it leaves very small scars as compared to 6 inch incision in open surgery.
- It is normally carried out as a day care procedure requiring no over-night stay. It is usually performed under general anaesthesiaso there is no pain felt by patient.
- Patient recovery is faster than open surgery.
Laparoscopic Surgery helps in followup patients:
- Infertile patients.
- Menstrual disorders like heavy bleeding or scanty bleeding or irregular periods.
- Tumours of the uterus - fibroid uterus.
- Tumours of the Ovary.
- Cysts of the ovary, polycystic ovaries.
- Ectopic Pregnancy.
- Laparoscopic removal of fibroid.
- Laparoscopic removal of uterus
- Laparoscopic correction of Utero vaginal prolapse.
Hysteroscopy means looking inside the uterine cavity (womb) to visualize any abnormalities of the uterus like fibroids, polypsadhesions etc.
It is a short stay procedures no incisions are required and is a scar less surgery. It is of help:
- In patients having repeated abortions.
- Patients having heavy or Scanty Bleeding.
- Patient having fibroids on inner lining of uterus.
- Patients with displaced copper T
- Patients with intrauterine septaewhich divides the cavity of uterus into two and patient is unable to conceive.
- Intrauterine polyps or clearing intrauterine adhesions.
In short Gynaecologic Endoscopic Surgery is a patient friendly surgery in terms of recovery in terms of recovery time, cost, risk of infection. What was once considered "Surgical Gymnastics" is now the gold standard of surgery in money applications in gynecological procedure.
Gynae endoscopic unit is going to be a hum of activity in Holy Family Hospital with ongoing activities like CMEs, 1-2 day workshop and a training to learn endoscopic procedures in Gynaecology.