Ayurveda is the ancient Indian holistic medical science which deals with the body, mind and soul in health and disease. It is based on the principles of Panch-Mahabhoota (Space, Air, Fire, Water and Earth) and Tri-Dosha (3 biological humors- Vata, Pitta and Kapha) theories and aims at promotion of positive health, prevention and cure of diseases. It gives us the knowledge of how to lead a very healthy, disease-free and meaningful long life. The origin goes back to 5000 years.
Health is defined in Ayurveda as a state of equilibrium of biological humors (vata, pitta, kapha dosha), balanced constitution, normal functioning of digestion and metabolism, proper structure and function of tissues, normal evacuation of waste materials from the body, with sensorial, mental and spiritual well being. Total physical, mental and spiritual well being is called perfect health. For promotion of health and prevention of diseases, Ayurveda has advocated Swasthavritta (Health regimen) which consists of Dinacharya (Daily regimen), Ritucharya (Seasonal regime) and Sadvritta (Ethical regimen). Imbalance of doshas is called disease. All diseases are due to the improper food, lifestyle and imbalanced mind.
Ayurveda has mainly eight branches viz.
1. Kaya (Internal medicine)
2. Bala (Pediatrics)
3. Griha (Psychiatry)
4. Urdhwanga (ENT,Eye)
5. Shalya (Surgery)
6. Damstra (Toxicology, Forensic medicine)
7. Jara (Rasayana - Geriatrics/Rehuvenation)
8. Vajikarana (Virilification)
Ayurveda has unique specialties like-
• Nadipariksha (Pulse examination)
• Prakriti Pariksha (Psycho-physical constitution)
• Panchakarma (Bio-purification of the body)
• Rasayana (Rejuvenation therapy)
• Kshara Sutra (Medicated thread therapy)
• Herbal medication
• Diet according to constitution and disease
Ayurveda Department was started in Holy Family Hospital in January 1989. Since then it is serving the suffering humanity with great commitment and dedication. It provides consultation by qualified and experienced Ayurvedic physicians. Panchakarma therapy is one of the specialty treatments in Ayurveda and the department has good facilities to conduct all panchkarma treatment for promotion of health as well as management of various diseases by expert technical staff under the supervision of experienced panchakarma physicians.
Even though Ayurveda Department has the facilities to treat all kinds of ailments, but it can successfully treat diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, osteo-arthritis, cervical and lumbar spondylosis, PIVD, hepatitis, sinusitis, bronchial asthma, digestive disorders, psychosomatic disorders, psoriasis, etc. As the success rate is good, more and more number of patients are opting for Ayurveda treatment.
Ayurveda advises mostly herbs as medicines and hence the adverse effect of medicines are nil or negligible.
Ayurveda department has a beautiful herbarium where there are about 80 medicinal plants with brief information sign boards. The department conducts periodical lectures on ayurvedic principles of healthy living, easy ayurvedic remedies for common problems and information on medicinal plants.
Panchakarma is a bio-purification therapy to eliminate the excessively aggravated doshas (metabolic wastes or toxins) from the body. It is used in deep rooted chronic diseases as well as seasonal abnormal imbalance of Tridoshas. As the metabolic wastes are eliminated from the body by the Panchakarma therapy the person becomes not only healthy, diseases are cured effectively and also the chances of recurrence of disease reduces. Hence, panchakrma treatment is important and unique specialty of Ayurveda.
The following are the main panchakarma procedures :
• Vamana - Therapeutic bio purificatory vomiting for Kapha dosha
• Virecana - Therapeutic bio purificatory purgation for Pitta dosha
• Anuvasan Basti - Medicated oil base Enema for controlling the excessive aggravation of vata dosha
• Asthapana Basti - Decoction base Enema mainly for purification of Vata dosha
• Nasya - Nasal administration of herbal drugs, oils etc.
Purva Karma (Preparatory procedures)
Before conducting Panchakrma procedures, few preparatory procedures are done which are called Snehana and Svedana.
Snehana - Oleation therapy - internal or external use of oil or ghee .
Internal Snehana : When given internally, they have a capacity of pushing or mobilizing the doshas/toxins/impurities so that their elimination becomes easy.
External snehan : This comprises of various kinds of massages. Medicated oils are applied on the body and different methods are used. Different types of massage techniques are used in the treatment of diseases mainly in musculo-skeletal and neurological diseases like muscular fatigue, loss of motor functions, arithritis, paralysis, migraine, spondylitis, bodyache, skin diseases, insomnia, etc. They also induce sound sleep by relaxing the nervous system, increase immunity of the body and are beneficial to increase luster of skin. Snehana therapy may be used as separate treatment also.
Swedana - Sudation/ fomentation therapy
The fomentation procedure by which stiffness, heaviness and coldness reduce and sweating is produced is called svedana therapy. It can be used before conducting main panchakarma procedures or even as separate treatment.
Different types of fomentations like steam bath and poultices are used on specific parts of the body. Many kinds of warm medicated oils, water, milk and herbal decoctions are also used. They are either used in a bath tub or are poured on the body. These types of fomentation treatments are very beneficial in diseases like pains in the joints, neck, back: Rheumatoid arthritis, osteo-arthritis, spondylosis, herniated disc, hemiplegia, muscular dystrophy, sinusitis, migraine, stiffness and heaviness in the body, etc.
Paschat karma (Post procedures)
After performing Pachakarma (purification therapy) the food and lifestyle advocated to the patient to gradually enhance the digestion and strength is called "Paschat Karma". This includes Samsarjana Krama i.e. gradually introducing normal food.
Following are few common but very beneficial treatments performed in Ayurveda department:
1. ABHYANGA (Medicated oil massage) : It is a gentle massage therapy with medicated oils, according to the constitution of the person and disease. It gives immediate physical and mental relaxation to the person. Persons having physical and mental stress, tiredness, dryness of skin, neurological disorders, insomnia etc., can get benefit from this therapy.
2. PATRA PINDA SWEDA (Medicated bundle fomentation) : Medicated oil massage and fomentation with bundle of herbs, on the patients of Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Cervical Spondylosis, Lumbar Spondylosis, Musculoskeletal disorders, Gout etc. It reduces pain, stiffness and swelling of the joints and also checks degenerative process in of the body.
3. BASHPA SWEDA (Steam bath) : Very effective fomentation therapy with medicated steam for Rheumatoid Arthritis, Osteoarthritis, Cervical Spondylosis, Lumbar Spondylosis, Muscular distrophy, Contractures, Stiffness due to neurological disorders, Obesity, Skin diseases etc. This therapy gives instant relief from pain, spasm of the muscles, inflammation of the joints, reduces water retention of the body, also checks ongoing process of the disease.
4. SHIRODHARA - Pouring of medicated oils. milk , butter milk etc. on the forehead and head of the patient suffering with Insomnia, Headache, Facial paralysis, Psychological disorders, Premature greying of hairs, Hair falling, Hypertension etc.
5. KATI BASTI -A specific therapyin which warm oil is made to stay on the lumbar region for specific time (about half an hour) for lumbar disc prolapsed cases. This treatment is very effective in chronic lumbar spondylosis and sciatica.
6. SHIRO BASTI - A special treatment in which medicated oil is made to stay on head for certain time and is beneficial treatment in hair falling, premature graying of hair, facial paralysis, ENT Disorders, headache, etc.
7. NETRA TARPAN - A unique therapy for eye diseases like eyeball pain, eye muscles weakness, weak eyesight, etc.
8. BASTI KARMA ; Different types of enemas for neuromuscular and jointl diseases.
9. NASYA KARMA : Nasal medication therapy for chronic sinusitis, facial paralysis, trigeminal neuralgia, migraine, etc.
For further information, Contact:
Holy Family Hospital
Okhla Road, New Delhi- 110025.
Tel - 26845900 to 09 (Ext-248)